Santa Clara Valley Canary & Exotic Bird Club History
How does an organization get started? There are many different answers, but probably the best is that there is a need. And there was a need in the Santa Clara Valley in 1958.
Joe Teixeira, Augie Teixeira, Pearl Davis, Frank Davis, and George Ginger had originally been members of the Santa Cruz Color Breeder Club. When it folded, they decided there was a need for a club in the San Jose area. They met in 1958 and thus was born the San Jose Breeders Bird Club. The early membership included Joe Teixeira, Augie Teixeira, Pearl Davis, Frank Davis, George Ginger, Bob Thompson, Leonard Quieto, Dan Gamma, Fred Tonetti, Jim Looper, Pat Borchig, David Borchig, Bob Stone, Bud Ricks, Leon Chaney, Pete Bermudes, and John Teixeira. Frank Davis was the first President and also the Show Manager for the first show. That and the next show were both closed shows (members only) and were restricted to baby birds. They were held in the basement of Frank Davis' home. Bud Ricks happened to be a visitor there at the time and volunteered to judge and to help the new club in learning the art of presenting a proper show.
The first Open Show was held in 1960 in the old Portuguese Hall where 400 birds were entered. Margie McGee was a paid judge and came by bus "all the way" from Los Angeles. Several shows were held at this location. The next location was the Guadalupe Red Shirts Barn on Blossom Hill Road. When the rental price there increased, the Club went back to the Portuguese Hall for the annual show. In 1975, it was moved to the Santa Clara High School where it remained until 1981, when it moved to Peterson Junior High School in Sunnyvale. The show has been held at Wilcox High School in Santa Clara since 1992.
The Club was originally for canary breeders only. Then a finch breeder who was interested in all types of birds made inquiries about the group. About the same time, breeders from Fresno inquired about and joined the Club. This entrance of breeders of other kinds of birds into the membership resulted in the name change to The Santa Clara Valley Canary and Exotic Bird Club in 1965.
The present membership represents the entire Bay Area as well as many points far beyond. From a group of approximately 17 members, the Club has grown to well over 100. From holding monthly meetings in homes or in the "tack room" of a horse barn, the Club has moved local school and is now at the Jewish Community Center in Los Gatos. Meetings are held on the second Sunday of each month and are combined with a potluck lunch. Special activities include the Summer BBQ, Bird Auctions in February and October, and the Open Show scheduled for the Thanksgiving weekend each year. The Club actively supports the American Federation of Aviculture and keeps currently informed on the conditions and situations of the wild bird population, as well as the welfare of the various cage birds.
The Club goal remains as always, "To encourage all people to learn about the care, breeding, and protection of all our feathered friends."
Return to SCVC&EBC home page